We did research on distance learning system on World Wide
Web. We developed distance learning system through Web browser
sharing, which included Web browser synchronization, and collaboration
tools such as annotation and telepointing on the Web browser with IBM
T.J. Watson Research Center.
We also worked on a new distance learning system which was based
on Web operation recording technology developed by Tokyo Research
Laboratory. The system consists of synchronous and asynchronous
collaboration system to have merits of both type of system.
Distance self-learning system for enterprise systems was our research as well.
- International journal paper
Toshio Souya, Makoto Kobayashi, Amane Nakajima, Katsumi Ohshima, "A Remote Learning System by Realtime Presentations on Web-Browser Synchronization" International Journal of Educational Telecommunications (IJET), Vol.7, No.1 pp.3-22, Association for the Advancment of Computing in Education (AACE), 2001
- International conference
Takashi Sakairi, Masahide Shinozaki, and Makoto Kobayashi,
"CollaborationFramework: A Toolkit for Sharing Existing Single-User
Applications without Modification,"
presented at Asia Pacific Computer and Human Interaction 1998,
Toshio Souya, Makoto Kobayashi, Satoshi Kawase, and Katsumi Ohshima,
"Joint Class Experiments Based on Realtime Web-Browser Synchronization,"
presented at Asia Pacific Computer Human Interaction 1998,
Makoto Kobayashi, Masahide Shinozaki, Takashi Sakairi, Maroun Touma,
Shahrokh Daijavad, and Catherine Wolf,
"Collaborative Customer Services Using Synchronous Web Browser Sharing,"
presented at CSCW 98, pp.99-108 (11/98)
Yoshinori Aoki and Amane Nakajima,
"User-Side Web Page Customization,"
presented at 8th International Conference on Human-Computer
Interaction, Vol.1, pp.580-584 (8/99)
- The system was used in "Mitaka Education Network project" in Tokyo in 1997 and 1998, and gathered much attention.
- "Distance learning between two schools with PCs," Asahi Newspaper, 12/2/97
- "Home pages working as chalkboard," Sankei Newspaper, 12/2/97
- "Remote lecture in the Internet," Nikkei Newspaper, 12/2/97
- "New types of public services: Distance learning for K-12," Nikkei Newspaper, 1/1/98
- "Internet changes education," Mainichi Newspaper, 4/6/98
- "Learning space is changing," Education Today '98 series, NHK Educational TV. 6/13/98