This web page lists the references in my paper:
"New Scalar and Vector Elementary Functions for the IBM System/
370" with R.C. Agarwal, J.W. Cooley, F.G. Gustavson, G. Slishman and
B. Tuckerman, IBM Journal of Research and Development, 30(1986),
IBM Research home page |
James B. Shearer's home page |
- W. J. Cody, "Software for the Elementary Functions",
Mathematical Software, J. Rice, Ed., Academic Press Inc., New York,
1971, pp. 17-186.
- W. J. Cody and W. Waite, Software Manual for the Elementary
Functions, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1980.
- H. Kuki, "Mathematical Function Subprograms for Basic System
Libraries--Objectives, Constraints and Trade-offs", Mathematical
Software, J. Rice, Ed., Academic Press Inc., New York, 1971, pp. 17-186.
- W. J. Cody, "Software for the Elementary Functions", presented
at the SIAM National Conference, Seattle, WA, July 1984.
- H. Kuki and J. Ascoly, "FORTRAN Extended-Precision Library",
IBM Syst. J., 10, 39-61(1971).
- J. Y. Wang, "On the Improvement of Some Mathematical Subroutines
in the IBM S/360 FORTRAN IV Libraries", Share-54, Anaheim, CA, March 3,
1980, Vol. 1, pp. 75-77.
- J. Y. Wang and J. Boyer, "A Study of the Mathematical Routines
in the the IBM System/360 FORTRAN IV and FORTRAN IV (Mod II) Libraries",
AMD-TM 304, Applied Mathematics Division, Argonne National Laboratory,
- J. Y. Wang, "The Evaluation of Periodic Functions with Large
Input Arguments", ACM/SIGNUM Newsletter 13, No. 4, 7-9(1978).
- Randolph G. Scarborough and Howard G. Kolsky, "Improved
Optimization of FORTRAN Object Programs", IBM J. Res. Develop. 24, No. 6,
- C. Moler, "Mathematical Software for Vector Computers",
presented at the SIAM conference on Parellel Processing for Scientific
Computing, Norfolk, VA, November 10-11, 1983.
- "Subroutine Library--Mathematics", IBM Program Product 5736-XM7
(Sytem/360 and System/370) 5711-XM2 (IBM 1130 and 1800); available
through IBM branch offices.
- A. Baker, Transcendental Number Theory, Cambridge University
Press, Cambridge, England, 1975, p. 6.
- G. Paul, IBM Research Division, Yorktown Heights, NY, private
communication, October 1982.
- F. Ris, IBM Research Division, Yorktown Heights, NY, private
communication, October 1982.
- Elementary Math Library, Programming RPQ P81005 Program No.
5799-BTB Program Reference and Operations Manual: a) First Edition
(Release 1, EML1), January 1984, ST40-2230-00 (formerly SH20-2230-00);
b) Second Edition (Release 2, EML2), August 1984, SH20-2230-1. Both are
available through IBM branch offices.
- T. E. Hull and A. Abrham, "Properly Rounded Variable Precision
Square Root", ACM Trans. Math. Software, 11, No. 3, 229-237(September
- W. Kahan, "Software sqrt(x) for the Proposed IEEE Standard",
Computer Science Department, University of California, Berkeley, August
1980; unpublished work.
- W. Fullerton, private communication, February 1982.
- S. Gal, "Computing Elementary Functions: A New Approach for
Achieving High Accuracy and Good Performance", presented at the
International Scientific Symposium of IBM Germany, March 12-14, 1985,
Bad Neuenahr, Germany; proceedings to appear.
- J. C. P. Miller, "Lecture Notes on Numerical Analysis",
Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, 1958.
IBM home page |
Contact IBM |