Smart Decision Solutions
With the pervasive adoption of location-aware technologies and other sensors in mobile devices, software systems, and hardware architecture, today's smarter systems need to be able to sense, analyze, monitor, predict, and response to space- and time-based situations. Our group's mission is to develop a wide range of space-time aware technologies and tools and integrate them into IBM products, solutions, and services.
Our technologies and projects cover a wide range of functional areas including:
- Collection, storage, and indexing of Big Data stemming from sensor events, including mobile devices
- Geospatial, temporal, and spatiotemporal processing and analytics
- Interactive map based visualization for near real-time monitoring of data-in-motion
- Visual pattern mining in historical Big Data (visual analytics)
- Detection and responding to space-time aware situations
- Triggering actuators, alerts, and notifications as part of business rules and automated decisions (operational decision management)
- Predicting events and responding to situations ahead of time (proactively)
Key Technology Areas
Our teams are actively involved in doing research in areas such as proactive event-driven computing, geographic information systems, graphics and visualization, visual analytics and data mining, cloud computing, mobile computing, and optimization.