Smarter Energy Research Institute (SERI)
Creating the utility of the future
As technology transforms both the delivery and requirements of energy, the Smarter Energy Research Institute (SERI) is working with energy and utility companies to develop innovative analytics solutions for their businesses.
SERI focuses on joint research efforts with clients in areas such as outage planning optimization, asset management optimization, integration of renewables and distributed energy resources, wide-area situational awareness and the participatory network.
SERI Second Annual Conference
On June 18-19, 2014, SERI hosted representatives from 22 global Energy & Utilities companies. Watch a recap, below.
For more about SERI, please complete this FORM. A member of our team will reach out to you.
Our focusWorking with energy and utility companies to transform their business through the use of advanced computation, predictive analytics and system optimization.
Our utility members
Join the Smarter Energy Research Institute
- SERI seeks to address challenges that have not been solved by traditional approaches, coupling IBM's $6B investment in cross-industry analytics R&D with the deep industry expertise of utility members.
- Membership requires a 2-year minimum commitment, in order to address large-scale business, planning or operational issues that will provide extraordinary value to the member.
- Members are free to deploy the software code and algorithms developed in SERI, and are encouraged to participate in and contribute to each of their own projects as well as collaborate with and share in other members' projects.
- Members define up to two projects with IBM Research, and have rights to the outcomes of all SERI projects.
- Membership is limited, and members have a seat at the table with IBM Research to guide the direction of SERI through the Governance Committee.
- For inquiries regarding joining SERI, please contact Larry Light (email@example.com).
Past Conferences: 2013 Inaugural SERI Conference
The inaugural Smarter Energy Research Institute (SERI) Conference, held June 11-12, 2013, launched the next generation of analytics for the energy and utilities industry. The founding SERI members and IBM Research staff co-led the unveiling of seven new applications across the institute's innovation tracks.
Master inventor Dean Kamen gave the keynote address about his work in bringing clean water and electricity to the developing world. Kamen also encouraged the technology and utility leaders in the audience to share their passions with the next generation of young scientists and engineers and to participate in Dean’s not-for-profit program, FIRST.
Read more about the 2013 Conference.